Schools and Districts use PIAs to help them comply with B.C. privacy legislation. Through the PIA process, Schools/Districts:
- Identify and evaluate potential privacy risks of new initiatives and programs
- Mitigate privacy risks to protect students’ and educators’ personal information
- Communicate data security measures to parents, students and educators
- Collect appropriate consent
The privacy office(r) or PIA drafter in a School/District can help to:
- Determine internal policies for review and sign-off of PIAs
- Answer questions about the PIA template and FIPPA
The Privacy and Access Helpline (Privacy.Helpline@gov.bc.ca) can also answer questions.
Note: Schools/Districts must keep completed PIAs on site in a secure location for the purpose of a Privacy Commissioner’s Audit.