The air sustains us and breathes life into us. It touches everything that surrounds us and connects us with everything in our world. We must keep the air clean and protect the plants and trees that provide it.
Sample Cross Curricular Integrated Unit – Grade 8
Electromagnetic Radiation and Light: What are the positive and negative consequences of exposure to the Sun?
Electromagnetic radiation and exposure to the Sun has had both positive and negative effects on people. The use of radiation has been effective in cancer treatments, but exposure to harmful UV rays has had an impact on humans with an increase in skin cancer. Through the examination of the properties of light, we can inform ourselves to make good decisions when it comes to the Sun and protect ourselves from cellular damage.
Energy can be transferred as both a particle and a wave.
- Questioning and Predicting
- Make observations aimed at identifying their own questions about the natural world
- Planning and Conducting
- Collaboratively plan a range of investigation types, including field work and experiments, to answer their questions or solve problems they have identified
- Processing and Analyzing Data and Information
- Experience and interpret the local environment
- Consider social, ethical, and environmental implications of the findings from their own and others’ investigations
- Applying and Innovating
- Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches
- Express and reflect on a variety of experiences and perspectives of place
- Types and effects of electromagnetic radiation
- Ways of Sensing
Creative growth requires patience, readiness to take risks, and willingness to try new approaches.
- Exploring and creating
- Intentionally select and apply materials, movements, technologies, environments, tools, and techniques by combining and arranging artistic elements, processes, and principles in art making
- Reasoning and reflecting
- Develop, refine ideas, and critically appraise ideas, processes, and technical skills in a variety of art forms to improve the quality of artistic creations
- Communicating and documenting
- Use the arts to communicate, respond to, and understand environmental and global issues
- Image development strategies
- A variety of local works of art and artistic traditions from diverse cultures, communities, times, and places
- Traditional and contemporary Aboriginal arts and arts-making processes
Personal Awareness and Responsibility
Competency Profile: Well-Being
Students who are personally aware and responsible recognize how their decisions and actions affect their mental, physical, emotional, social, cognitive, and spiritual wellness, and take increasing responsibility for caring for themselves. They keep themselves healthy and physically active, manage stress, and express a sense of personal well-being. They make choices that contribute to their safety in their communities, including online interactions. They recognize the importance of happiness, and have strategies that help them find peace in challenging situations.
Sample “I” Statements:
- I can participate in activities that support my well-being, and tell/show how they help me.
- I can take some responsibility for my physical and emotional well-being.
- I can make choices that benefit my well-being and keep me safe in my community, including my online interactions.
- I can use strategies to find peace in stressful times.
- I can sustain a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
Core Competencies are a new approach in British Columbia to Expected Learning Outcomes beyond content to developing the ‘Educated Citizen.’ They focus on Personal and Social, Thinking, and Communication. An integrated unit that interweaves these competencies is a valuable way to use learning.
The basis of this unit is rooted in the area of Science. Several other curriculum strands have been incorporated to extend thinking and incorporate multiple intelligences into content delivery.
Direct content connections can include:
Aboriginal connections include:
Process learning connections can include: